If you're thinking about joining us for the Learn to Sew course but have a few questions, take a look below. Can't find what you're looking for? Contact us and we will happily answer any questions you have.
What does the course include?
In this Premium Course, we're going to teach you how to sew from the very beginning. By the end of this course, you'll know how to use your machine, work with different fabrics, and you'll make two patterns — a dress and a jacket.
The course includes 12 video modules, a workbook with summaries and homework for each lesson, a sample journal, the Quince and Georgia sewing patterns, and 3 months of community membership.
Plus, you get these bonuses:
- The Ultimate Guide to Setting Up Your Sewing Space
- Our Materials Bundle to help you get all the supplies you need
- The Sewing Dictionary
- Skills Checklist
- What to Sew Next Guide. The What to Sew Next guide will help you pick out your next projects... and you'll be able to download the patterns for FREE with the included Seamwork membership.
What will I learn in each of the modules?
Here's what the course will cover:
- Module 1: Get ready to Create– Learn about everything you need to get started.
- Module 2: How to Fall in Love with Sewing– Get familiar with the Sewing by Design process, and how you can make sewing feel easy.
- Module 3: Get to Know Your Tools and Materials– Get familiar with fabric, notions, and your sewing machine.
- Module 4: Learn to Read a Pattern– Know how to choose your size, print digital patterns, read your pattern, and make small adjustments if you need them.
- Module 5: Cutting and Marking– Learn how to prepare your fabric, cut efficiently and accurately, and understand things like cutting layouts and grainlines.
- Module 6: Seams: Stitch, finish, press– Learn all the stitching basics, from straight stitching to finishing your edges neatly, to sewing a hem.
- Module 7: Sewing Quince– Put your skills together to make the Quince jacket, a versatile layering piece you can sew in a range of fabrics.
- Module 8: Curved Edges– Move on to curved edges and learn how to use facings and create curved hems.
- Module 9: Adding Fullness– Make sure your clothing fits around your curves by learning how to sew darts and gathers.
- Module 10: Install a Sleeve– Learn how to sew the most common type of sleeve, a set-in sleeve, by putting together a series of skills you've already learned.
- Module 11: Sewing Georgia– Create an elegant and simple dress with sleeves and darts.
- Module 12: What Should I Make Next?– Learn where to take your sewing from here, so you can keep building your skills and feeling good about what you make.
Who is this course for?
We created this course for two types of people:
- Beginners who are just starting out on their sewing journey and want to build a foundation of skills to last for years to come.
- Anyone who is returning to sewing after a hiatus and needs to refresh their skills or fill in gaps.
What experience do I need to take this course?
No prior sewing experience is necessary. Because a working sewing machine is required, we do recommend that you are able to follow your manufacturer's instructions to thread and test stitch using your machine if possible.
Who is this course not for?
This course is not for intermediate or experienced sewists who already feel confident creating most projects. If you already know a lot about sewing and want to focus on more specific areas and specialties, this isn't the right course for you.
What tools and equipment do I need to take this course?
You'll need a sewing machine that is tuned up and in working order to complete this course. You'll also need a selection of basic sewing tools, thread, and fabric. The complete list of tools and materials will be covered in the course.
Will I have a place to ask questions?
Your course purchase comes with 3 months of membership to our Seamwork community (if you're not already a member), where you can ask questions of both staff and other community members!
The 3-month trial Unlimited membership expires automatically at the end of three months. At the time of your course purchase you will have the option to upgrade to a full year Unlimited membership instead (your first year is free!), which auto-renews each year.
Will I get help choosing fabric for the projects?
A Fabric Buying Guide is included with the course, including specific recommendations that are accessible and easy to sew. And of course, you can always ask questions and learn more about what other people have used in the Seamwork community.
Can I access the course at any time?
Yes! This course is available for you to watch whenever you want, now or later.
Is the course self-paced, or on a schedule?
This is a self-paced course, so you can do it on your own time and at the speed that feels right for you. We've designed it to teach you the skills you need to know quickly (we call them the "80/20 skills"), but the exact pace is up to you.
How long will it take me to finish the course?
Since it's self-paced, it's completely up to you. Some modules will move much more quickly than others, and you may want to spend more time on certain homework. We recommend giving yourself at least 6 weeks to work through everything, but you can certainly take it slower, depending on your schedule.
How much does the course cost?
The course price is $299. This includes a 3-month trial Unlimited membership which will expire automatically at the end of three months. At the time of your course purchase you will have the option to upgrade to a full year Unlimited membership instead (your first year is free!), which auto-renews each year. If you choose not to upgrade you will automatically receive the 3-month membership. The full year free membership is not available retroactively after completing your purchase.
I'm already a Seamwork member. Is this course included in my membership?
This is a Premium Course and is not included in your membership. However, current Seamwork Unlimited members do get $100 off their course purchase! Make sure to sign into your account before you purchase the class so that our system knows you're an Unlimited member!
What if I find the course isn't really for me?
Not to worry! If you aren't satisfied with the course for any reason, just let us know within 30 days for a full refund.
Can I give this course as a gift?
Yes you can! Simply visit the Learn to Sew Course page and scroll to the bottom to purchase a gift code.